If this isn’t your first time seeing a psychologist or counsellor, chances are you may have had a less than favourable experience with some. The most common feedback that we receive from clients about their previous experience with other psychologists or counsellors is that: (a) they did not feel a connection with the professional; and (b) the treatment was either not helpful at all or only helped for a short while. When you come to see us, the following is what we offer you.
1) We strive to connect and work with you at your point of need. Unlike some other places you may have visited, we do not treat you as just another number. A personal, heartfelt connection with you is of utmost importance to us as much as it is to you. After all, research has shown that the therapist-client relationship is the major determinant of successful outcomes in treatment.
2) We are focused on helping you resolve the core, underlying issues once and for all. This means when treatment is over, we want you to walk out thinking and feeling differently about yourself and your life, completely free from the past. We are not interested merely in reduction or ‘management’ of symptoms, unlike some other mental health professionals you may have seen before.
3) We employ EMDR therapy which is simple, effective and have been clinically shown to produce results within a shorter time than many other conventional therapies. This ultimately saves you not just time but also money as you will not need to make countless repeated visits to a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist over a long term! You will likely also be able to cease psychotropic medication (e.g. antidepressants) by the time you finish your treatment with us. Furthermore, because EMDR therapy addresses and resolves the core issues once and for all, chances of relapse are very low.
4) We keep up to date with the latest developments in neuroscience and this is reflected in the treatments we utilise. Some of the knowledge that our treatments involve include recent findings of how trauma affects the brain/body over the lifespan and Neuroplasticity (i.e. the brain’s ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life).
5) We do not believe in long waiting periods to get in for an appointment as that could be detrimental to your wellbeing. Unlike many other places, we ensure that you can get in within a week or two at the most. You will usually be able to get an appointment within a week of contacting us, sometimes even less. Also, you will normally not have to wait for more than a fortnight between appointments.